A special delivery

A special delivery
...and so it begins!

Monday 7 March 2011

X marks the spot...

Finished off my book giving with the letters M, X and B. Sounds like a script for Sesame Street!

M - The young woman at the Great North Museum quite literaly screamed with delight at being part of World Book Night.  I left with a huge smile.

X - In the absence of locating any xenophobes or xylophonists, the profession receiving a free book was always going to be an X-ray technician. It was actually the very first career I thought of giving Cloud Atlas to, when I conceived my Herculean challenge. There is a danger that we sometimes focus on a spot of cleverness, without giving some thought to the people who populate our journeys. Walking through the RVI Xray wing, brought me back to earth - ticking off your A to Z list didn't feel quite so good as you walk past a seriously injured road crash victim and a young lad slumped in a wheelchair waiting to receive life changing results. Still, when they are recovered I'm sure that they do enjoy a good read as much as anyone. Lesson to self - hubris isn't too far away, if you don't have a spot of humility.

B - I started my journey at Blackwell's books and returned there to hand out the last free book. Not exactly returning to port after circumnavigating the globe, but a lovely finish handing Cloud Atlas to the lady from Blackwell's who had shown such interest in the venture. A wonderful few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment