A special delivery

A special delivery
...and so it begins!

Saturday 5 March 2011

Some kind of wonderful.....

A marvellous day handing out books using my patented A to Z of careers thingymajig. As I filled up my car with the books, a royal mail van drove into the street. All I could think was that a letter P had fallen into my lap, within ten seconds of commencing my quest!!! The postman was somewhat bemused as I thrust Cloud Atlas into his hand and and garbled an explaination to him.

Responses, from people who received books during the day, ranged from utter bewilderment to absolute delight. I visited an Ice cream seller in Seaton Delaval, a wonderfully enthusastic book fan and Chocolatier in Tynemouth, a lovely Jeweller in Whitley Bay and so on and so forth.

As I'd picked an approach that involved meeting people in their place of work, I felt a bit guilty that I was taking up their time... so in a few shops  I made some purchases to ease my guilt (or awkwardness). World Book Night has cost me a fortune.... a bottle of Chablis, luxury handmade chocolates, cinder toffee, a box of paracetemol, scones. (the chocolates were fab by the way - I can recommend Gareth James, Chocolatier of Tynemouth!

Still have a few letters to finish the alphabetic approach off.

2 comments:

  1. Doing a shout-out to you tomorrow, Monday, Steve - You may see some increased traffic as a result - Only 5 of my books left at the pub - Result!

    Saved one for you - Please may I have one of your Cloud Atlas's - I can be "U" for Unemployed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww - thanks Carol. I hadn't realised that you had posted a comment. Oops - cloud atlas have shot off the shelves. Is it not P - for pyschonaut or T for therapist?

    ReplyDelete